Issuance of Weapon Permits
Sheriff's Office Procedure
The Jasper County Sheriff's Office shall issue weapons permits according to the following procedure:
- All applications for weapon permits must be made in person at the Jasper County Sheriff's Office at 2300 Law Center Drive
Newton, IA 50208.
- Appropriate training certificates must accompany the applicant at the time the application is being made. (Bring a hard copy with you.) See Permit to Carry New & Renewals for more details.
- When an approved application has been signed by the Sheriff or his designee, it will be uploaded to the state site for printing and mailed to the applicant. The Sheriff has up to 30 days to approve or deny applications, per Iowa Code.
- Permit printing is now standardized by the state and will be printed at the state level. Permits will be mailed to applicants once approved.
- If the application is denied due to any disqualifier(s), the Sheriff will notify the applicant in writing with the reason(s) for the denial.
Frequently Asked Questions
Visit our FAQ page and select the "Weapon Permits" category to view a list of commonly asked questions.