Hunting & Fishing Licenses

Your Recorder/Registrar is responsible for selling or issuing: Hunting and Fishing Licenses, Deer and Wild Turkey Tags, Fur Harvester Licenses, Habitat, Duck and Trout Fees, Landowner/Tenant Gun & Archery Permits.

Collectible Cards

A new collectible hard card is available for purchase in two different designs — a largemouth bass or a pheasant — created by native Iowa artist Bruce Gordon. The durable hard card costs $6 and will include purchased licenses printed on the back for the year. New designs on the hard card should be unveiled each year.


The Iowa Department of Natural Resources is required to collect social security numbers from all persons obtaining a hunting, fishing, or other recreational license under section 252J.8 of the Code of Iowa and 42 U.S. Code 666(a)(13). Your social security number will serve as your principal identification number to determine your eligibility for licenses. It will be provided to law enforcement agencies and the Iowa Child Support Collection Unit to establish, modify and enforce child support obligations. It WILL NOT appear on your hunting or fishing license.

Resident Licenses

Application for Residency  Armed Forces Hunting/Fishing License

Applications and assistance for these special licenses are available at the Jasper County Recorder's Office.

Requirements for Purchasing Resident Licenses

Anglers must meet at least one of the following criteria to purchase a resident fishing license in Iowa:

  1. Have an Iowa driver’s license or Iowa non-operator’s identification card and have physically resided in Iowa for 30 consecutive days immediately before applying for or purchasing a resident license.
  2. Be registered to vote in Iowa. Qualifications to register to vote are outlined in Iowa Code chapter 48A.5.
  3. Be a full-time student at an educational institution located in Iowa and reside in Iowa while attending the educational institution.
  4. Be a nonresident under 18 years of age whose parent is a resident of Iowa.
  5. Be a member of the armed forces of the United States on active duty and (a) stationed in Iowa or (b) is stationed outside of Iowa, claims residency in Iowa, and has filed an Iowa income tax return for the preceding tax year.

Landowner/Tenant Licenses

For information about resident landowner and tenant hunting licenses, please visit our Landowner & Tenant Licenses page.

Landowner & Tenant Licenses

Regulations & Resources



Stay Connected

Sign up to receive notifications when board meetings and agendas are posted, job openings are announced, and more.

Customize Your Notifications