Vital Records Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to register in the Recorder's office to perform a marriage? - No, there is no requirement to register at this time. For more information please review the Officiant Pamphlet.

Are divorce records kept in the Recorder's office? - No, divorce records are kept in the Clerk of District Court.

Can I apply for a marriage license in one county and get married in another county? - Yes, the license is valid in any county in the state of Iowa.

Can I get a document notarized in the Recorder's office? - Our office does not have a Notary Public.

What if I don't have a driver's license or ID to have a document notarized? Click here to see a list of documentation that is acceptable for notarization.